Safe Use of Lasers, Levels 1-3
Lasers are commonly used for alignment, levelling, control and survey tasks in construction and civil work. The Work Health and Safety (WHS) Regulations impose certain requirements in relation to the safe use of laser equipment in a workplace.
Lasers in Classes 1, 2, 3A and 3B (Restricted) can be used for construction work, but hazards exist to workers in the area, so appropriate safety procedures need to be followed.
Timing: 1.5 hour workshop
Who should attend:
The course is aimed at supervisors, laser safety officers, and any workers who use lasers in Classes 1 to 3, or anyone who works or supervises work in areas where lasers are in use.
- Laser classes and associated safety issues. Controlled and restricted laser classes.
- Hazard identification and risk assessment on site.
- Safety hierarchy of control, and application for laser safety.
- Australian Standard 2397.2015 – Safe use of lasers in the building and construction industry.
- Training, licencing, safe operation and supervision of lasers in use/not in use.
- Site signage, setup and control of laser use area.
- Calibration and labeling requirements for laser instruments, AS 2211.
- Required documentation and records.
- PPE for laser safety.
- Scenarios and questions.